Popular Posts

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rosehip syrup

Well winter is well and truly here in Australia.  I have been very busy but finally got around to pruning the roses (at the very end of the rose pruning season).  As I was doing this I decided to keep all of the rosehips to try to make something edible.

For this you need 500 g rosehips, 500 g sugar and 2 litres of boiling water.  I tried to crush the rosehips in my coffee grinder (but only succeeded in breaking the coffee grinder) so instead I roughly chopped them.  They were then steeped in 1 litre of boiling water for 1/2 hour then strained through a colander lined with a piece of fine cloth.  This process is repeated again with the rosehip pulp and the second litre of boiling water.  The rosehip infused liquid is then placed into a small saucepan and boiled until it is reduced to about 1/2.   Then add the sugar and cook for about 5 minutes.  When it cooled, some of the syrup went into a bottle of vodka (which I will taste test in a few months time) and the rest I used to make rosehip syrup cupcakes. 

Rosehip Syrup Cupcakes:
Beat 110 g butter with 110g castor sugar until light and fluffy.  Add two eggs and 3 teaspoons rosehip syrup and mix well then fold in 110 g SR flour.  Mix and spoon into patty pans and cook in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested.  Ice with a pale pink icing and place a candy flower decoration on each one.



No comments:

Post a Comment